Saturday, July 25, 2009

One month following the finishing of RTK

It has been one month since finishing RTK (Remembering the Kanji by Heisig). I still do reviews daily and test some 120 characters everyday. The reviews have been decreasing noticeably weekly, from 180/day when I completed to the current rate.

Was it worth it? Am I fluent yet? Can I read a Japanese newspaper yet?

Yes, it was worth it. No I am not fluent, nor can I read a newspaper. However, the path is clear and my Kanji fears have subsided since there are little characters that I see that I don't have some level of familiarization with and understand the basic meaning.

I have started on みんなの日本語 1 (minna no nihongo 1), which I started last year and made through half way, before stopping. The first half is pretty basic and most of which I am familiar with already, however, there is a drastic difference: the Kanji. As I progress through the text, some of the questions have been already answered - in hiragana only though. Now that I know Kanji, the vocabulary presented with Kanji in the text is easily recalled (e.g., かぞく - family, which is 家族, or in RTK keywords: house, tribe) and more importantly produced when I am answering workbook questions. This text should be finished in early September at my current molasses-like rate.

As far as studying Japanese, my time is still divided up studying RTK and みんなの日本語, however, I see and understand the importance and those can easily justify the required devotion. My sentences that I have been studying in Anki numbers only 130 or so, but should increase steadily as I have more time available and my study patterns normalize.

No comments:

Post a Comment